Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Make-up, Break-up

I have this friend. Although she was broken up with her ex- boyfriend, she has had old wounds re-opened and is suffering anew. Suffice to say that she is more or less going through this.

This is very difficult for me as well since I am a mommy and want to be a loyal friend who is there, but the lack of sleep is leaving me very much the worse for wear.

But I digress. Through our many, many, many conversations I have wondered what compels someone to get back together with a person who did not think that they were worthy enough to never break-up with in the first place?

I have never been in that situation. Not to say that I don't know that a relationship has it's peaks and valleys, but I've never had my heart broken by someone and thought later that perhaps I should get back together with them. Perhaps I'm too spiteful or vindictive but even if I were the person doing the breaking up I think I would be appalled if the other person suggested we get back together especially if I was so hurt to begin with. I am not a glutton for punishment. Yet, I know many who are.

Why can the people I know not meet someone that they really can't imagine not having in their life and the girlfriend/boyfriend reciprocate wholeheartedly. Despite any highs and lows, you really cannot imagine your life without him/her. To not be someone lost in a relationship. To have your own hobbies, interests and opinions. Your significant other also has their own interests and together you share your joys, sorrows and everything between. But suddenly it falls apart and you both go your own separate ways? Is that what happens? It seems so tragic, what every heart-breaking song and movie and play are about. So then, after all of this, does one say to themselves "It will be different this time, we should be together."

The heart is a very cruel thing, you can never see the scars of the hurt inflicted on it and maybe that's why many forget.

Now I think, will this happen to my children? If it does, what will I say to them? Will they even tell me? Perhaps being the shoulder to cry on is the practice I need. One day, these sleepless nights will be far into the future and I will remember those many discussions with my friends. . .just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment