Saturday, February 28, 2009

The War on Family

Well, I was reading this post and the subject has been on my mind. I've discussed it with other folks and keep coming back to the baby dilemma.

Having children is a fabulous and wonderful thing for those inclined to be parents and who have the means to do so. Unfortunately, I find that the means to do so are becoming less and less in my beloved country. As such. . .the trend will follow, fewer and fewer Canadian-born children.

When I had the chance I sent this article to every single person I knew. That's saying a lot for me because I'm very much one of those people who rarely sends things out but I had to send this one out. I felt every word of it was true. In fact, it struck a chord with my other friends who had young children. My buddy J.J. went so far as to force another one of our mutual friends to sit down and read the entire article which he later humourlessly described to me. I realized then that I was definitely not the only person who felt this way.

It does anger me that my own country will not put the effort in to help Canadian families and Canadian families need help. Not just those below the poverty line but the middle class need it too. For my generation, it seems that becoming a parent is more and more a lifestyle choice rather than the norm.

I had thought of having another child and although I know that I could wait, I don't really want too. I would have wanted to have my children close together in age not just for them, but for myself and my husband. Eventually, my children will grow up and I'd like them to do it together and be at about the same stages in life. I don't really want one to be in elementary school while the other is finishing high school. I'd like them to be there together so that it will be easier on me. They will grow up and (praying they will) finish school and have lives of their own. As such, I'd also like a life of my own. I do not want to always continue this struggle and I know I'm not the only one. That's a terrible choice to put on potential parents. . .having a life or struggle. Shouldn't we have both. If past generations did, why can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment