Friday, March 20, 2009

The Dramatic Roof


Well, I'm back at square one for the debt status. Had to pay for the new roof. Probably have a lot of other things to pay for in the house too. It's a very nice roof. Better than code and I won't have to do it again until I'm about 65 years old. That probably makes the drama of getting the roof worth it.

Let me start at the beginning. Now I know that I needed a new roof. My home inspector told me that I did. This was of course before I knew about the too much debt status. At the time I thought, no problem I can save up and do that. Well, things didn't happen that way and I had to do the roof as cheaply and as durable as possible. Cue to my in-laws.

Now, I like my in-laws. I have two sets since Dr. Evil's parents are divorced. Imagine my heart attack at having to meet all of them when we were getting married. 7 years later I'm glad that I don't live near any of them, but they're still nice people.

Dr. Evil's mother is a very fussy, finicky and naggy person. Still nice, but thankfully I don't have to live with her. Her boyfriend, the Rooster is also nice and a extremely handy individual.

He builds houses for a living. He can make roofs, hell. . .he could probably redo my entire house, he's that good. Also, if he did it. . .I would never have to worry about re-doing it for years because his work is meticulous and he's damn good at it, it's truly his calling. One problem though. . .he's an alcoholic. Not just some undercover alcoholic. . .a raging, angry, drinking constanly, crashed his car numerous times and finally had his licence suspended kind of alcoholic.

So although I knew that he would do an excellent job. . .there would definitely be drama. If I wanted the good, I would have to take the bad. I've definitely had it bad with this individual, he's had me by the throat when I was pregnant and only let go when Dr. Evil's mother nearly ripped his eyes out. . .yeah, that kinda bad.

Firstly, up until the day of. . .didn't know if they were coming. Found out at the last possible minute. This was weeks after loads of drunken calls at all hours of night after the original asking of could it be done.

Next, since I didn't know if they were coming I hadn't ordered the supplies. They informed me that it would be as easy as snap to get them. Not the case. As such, the first day was wasted just attempting to get the supplies with workers who were getting paid $20 an hour sitting around doing nothing. For the good folks at Home Depot, thank you for your amazing work. I'd still have those folks here if you didn't pull through. Just need to find the right words to say when I write my customer appreciation letter to you. Yeah, they were that good. The folks at AMA as well, thank you. As for the people of Rona, now I remember why I only buy paint from you (for the airmiles) and nothing else. . .you are retards!

Now on to the actual work. Three old guys who drank constantly and one young guy who didn't. Guess which one worked non-stop. To the young guy, who was polite, grateful and working. . .I personally invited him back to stay with us whenever he liked. Hell, he even took care of the girls for me. Not the other guys didn't work, but I didn't have to clean up all the beer bottles from my front and backyard, apologize to my neighbours constantly and generally be stressed from the constant fighting as much.

They finally finished waaaaay later than they should have. The rooster was refusing to leave at around 9 p.m. and stole our flashlight. I finally went in and put the kids to bed after scrubbing them down since their feet bottoms were black from how dirty my floors were. From what I understand. . .it was as horrible a drive home as it was a ride coming up for them. There's a whole bunch more that happened that I didn't include, neighbour drama and such. Thankfully, the f***tards were gone at least until next time.

But hey, I've got a damn fine roof!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! I can't wait to see it. I hate Home Depot, glad to hear you had a better experience that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New roof is good. Sorry there was so much drama getting it.

    ReplyDelete