Monday, March 9, 2009

Every Little Bit Counts

This can easily be a post about me throwing more money to the debt. I'm surprised at the dent I've put in it so far. I've got a loooong way to go though.

No, this is about giving. Now that I'm broke I feel bad because all the money I normally donate to soup kitchens, United Way, church and other such ordinances have been completely cut. It really sucks! I liked giving because it made me feel good. Despite my family's weirdness they've always said "if you have, you should give, because you're lucky enough to be giving."

I know what a great position I'm in. Although the debt drives me crazy, I still have money to put towards it and try to pay it off. I have a nice house and a beautiful family. I'm still able to eat and pay bills. Even if I miss those creature comforts I used to have, I'm still pretty well off. I also don't work, so I'm REALLY well off.

So what can I do to get that good feeling of giving again? Well, I looked up some volunteer opportunities. Not sure how much I'll be able to do that but I'll try.

I donated my pampers points to this program. Not an easy task considering I had been saving them since the girls were born, but I got a couple of gift cards too :)

I'm starting to get that fuzzy feeling. After all, according to the Law of Attraction when you feel great and positive. . .good stuff will happen.

To those who say they don't like it when people talk about charities they give to or what they do to try and give back. I say "Get bent, giving is a good thing and if folks want to talk about it. . .guess what? It might not be because they are arrogant. It might be that they mention it, that in the hopes of when you someday open your wallet, you might remember the places or organizations they were talking about."

The only time I get irritated is when I'm "forced" to give. I don't like being put on the spot. If folks are just talking about what they are doing. . .I've got no problemo with that. In fact, it should be encouraged.

Give a little, receive a lot.

2 comments: